Having a correctly configured computer will help ensure your success in eCore. Check the information below to be sure that your computer meets all the necessary technical requirements for hardware and software. Links to the plug-ins (special free software) that you will need are also listed below.
Click on the headers to expand for more information.
Computer Hardware & Peripherals
- Windows PC or Apple Macintosh: Macintosh users tend to have fewer configuration problems while using GoView.
- PC: VGA (or equivalent) monitor or better
- PC: Sound card with speakers or headphones, required in some courses
- Some language courses require a microphone (a USB headset might be ideal)
- A printer is highly recommended
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows XP, Windows Vista OS: Once you determine that GoView is working well on your computer, be wary of subsequently installing "Automatic Updates" from Microsoft & Sun. Any such update may impair your computer's ability to work with GoView. This is especially true in the case of Java updates.
- MacOS X 10.3.9 or higher ("Classic" MacOS 9 is not supported.)
A connection to the Internet access is required to use GoView. While a 56kbps (dialup) modem may be used, a high-speed internet connection (cable modem, DSL, or LAN) is strongly recommended. Performance may suffer over dialup, especially for those courses with audio and/or video components.
GoView requires that ONE version of Sun's Java (JRE=Java Runtime Environment) be installed on your computer. This is particularly the case for Windows computers. (Apple computers seem less sensitive to this.) Installing Java "updates" will actually install AN ADDITIONAL version of Java on your computer.
For more information on Java & Vista, check the GoView Online Support Center — D2LHelp ( https://d2lhelp.view.usg.edu)
Remember: Browser Checkers will only tell you the most recent version of Java installed on your computer. They will not tell you whether it's the ONLY version installed, nor will it reveal whether any installed version is working properly. (It is sometimes necessary to reinstall an existing Java installation to address Java problems.)
Supported Web Browsers
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, Mozilla Firefox 2.0 and Apple Safari 3 are the ONLY supported browsers. Do not use Firefox 3 or any other unsupported browser, as functionality may be limited.
- Many Windows users prefer Firefox over Internet Explorer, especially for viewing webpages with embedded equations.
- For Macintosh users, the Safari browser is the ONLY supported web browser.
- The AOL browser does not always work well with GoView, although recent versions have performed better. Once connected via AOL, users should launch another browser, such as Firefox.
- Netscape 7 has been known to have problems with some course content; Netscape 8 is NOT supported.
- If your browser is set to the highest "security setting," you may experience difficulties viewing some pages. If these problems persist, lower your browser's security setting (to "Medium").
You may need these free software utilities for eCore courses. Directions for locating and downloading plug-ins may be found at the GoView Online Support Center — D2LHelp ( https://d2lhelp.view.usg.edu)
Some courses may require additional software; check your course syllabus.
Virus & Spyware Protection Software
ALL COMPUTERS CONNECTING TO THE INTERNET SHOULD HAVE CURRENT VIRUS DETECTION/REMOVAL SOFTWARE INSTALLED, WITH CURRENT DEFINITIONS. IN ADDITION, ALL WINDOWS COMPUTERS SHOULD BE RUNNING SPYWARE DETECTION/REMOVAL SOFTWARE, WITH CURRENT DEFINITIONS.
It is possible for GoView users to spread a virus by sharing infected computer files, and spyware can be picked up anywhere while surfing the web. Directions for locating and downloading Virus & Spyware Protection software may be found at the GoView Online Support Center — D2LHelp ( https://d2lhelp.view.usg.edu)
Many computer users have special software installed, such as "search toolbars" which may disable "pop-up windows." Also, many browsers now offer a setting to "block" pop-up windows. In order for GoView to function properly, you MUST allow pop-up windows! While using Vista, if you are unable to view discussion postings or quizzes, pop-up blocking must be disabled. Directions for disabling pop-up blockers and uninstalling search toolbars may be found at the GoView Online Support Center — D2LHelp ( https://d2lhelp.view.usg.edu)