After completing this course, you will be able to
- Identify the genres, major writers and important schools in American literature from the pre-colonial era to the opening volleys of the Civil War.
- Summarize, interpret, and infer hypotheses regarding selected texts.
- Use and extend reading, writing, technological, and critical thinking skills developed in ENGL 1101 and ENGL 1102.
- Identify the cultural factors that shaped American literature and define the common concerns of humanity as expressed through literature.
- Unit 1: Introduction to course
- Unit 2: Pre-Colonial America and Colonial Settlements
- Unit 3: Toward a National Literature
- Unit 4: The American Renaissance: Romanticism and Transcendentalism
- Unit 5: Nineteenth Century Critical Perspectives
Your final grade will be based on the following breakdown. Please note that each instructor may choose to make modifications.
- Discussions/Participation – 25%
- Unit Quizzes – 10%
- Writing Summary – 5%
- Focused Annotated Bibliography – 15%
- Final Researched Essay – 20%
- Proctored Midterm Exam – 15%
- Final Exam– 10%