This course requires you to purchase a lab kit. This kit has been customized for eCore and can be used for GEOL 1011K.
Students will not be allowed to stay in the course without purchasing lab kit material unless a different arrangement has been made with the instructor.
Please see below for ordering information.
Username (case sensitive) : ecore
Password (case sensitive) : !studentkits123
- Once you have logged in, select "Place Order" (left menu)
- Search EC-5200-KIT OR select "Student Kits" (left menu) to see all available kits.
- Enter "1" in the "Quantity" text box and click "Add"
- The kit will appear in your "Shopping Cart" on the left
- Select "Review Order" (below left menu) and input your billing and shipping information
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Identify Earth materials and discuss/interpret their origin, economic uses, compositions, and interrelationships.
- Use maps, photos, and diagrams to identify and interpret topographic and geologic structures and the processes which form them.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Earth surface processes and their impact on mankind.
- Discuss evidence of plate tectonics and the Earth's internal structure and how processes within the Earth influence Earth's major surface features and control the location of Earth's major surface features and control the location of earthquakes and volcanic activity.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the perspective of geologic time as related to geologic events and processes and the formation of earth materials.
- Unit 1: Introduction to Geology
- Unit 2: Earth's Interior
- Unit 3: Topographic Maps
- Unit 4: Plate Tectonics
- Unit 5: Water
- Unit 6: Climate Change
- Unit 7: Matter and Minerals
- Unit 8: Igneous Rocks and Processes
- Unit 9: Volcanoes
- Unit 10: Sedimentary Rocks
- Unit 11: Metamorphic Rocks
- Unit 12: Crustal Deformation
- Unit 13: Earthquakes
- Unit 14: Physiographic Provinces
Your final grade will be based on the following breakdown. Please note that each instructor may choose to make modifications.
- Participation/Discussions – 10%
- Online Quizzes – 25%
- Labs - 35%
- Proctored Midterm Exam - 15%
- Proctored Final Exam - 15%
You are required to have access to Google Earth in order to complete some of the graded activities in this course. Google Earth is a free and easy to use tool that will allow you to visualize and explore many of the geologic features discussed in GEOL 1011k. Google Earth is available for free download at: http://www.google.com/earth/.