After completing this course, you will be able to
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the following topics
- Matter and measurement
- Reactions and reaction stoichiometry
- Properties of gases
- Periodic properties of elements
- Atomic structure, chemical bonding, and molecular bonding theories
- Use correct chemical nomenclature, structural symbols, and terminology to accurately communicate in Standard English chemical principles, theories, and processes.
- Employ critical thinking and systematic methods to solve problems, including conceptual and quantitative problems.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the role of chemistry in everyday life
- Apply the rules of laboratory safety
- Collect and analyze scientific data, formulate appropriate conclusions from data analyses, and communicate findings.
- Lab Safety
- Unit 1: Essential Ideas
- Measurement, Numbers, & Dimensional Analysis Lab
- Unit 2: Atoms, Molecules, & Ions
- Unit 3: Composition of Substances & Solutions
- Unit 4: Stoichiometry of Chemical Reactions
- Unit 5: Thermochemistry
- Unit 6: Electronic Structure and Periodic Properties of Elements
- Unit 7: Chemical Bonding and Molecular Geometry
- Unit 8: Advanced Theories of Covalent Bonding
- Unit 9: Gases
Your final grade will be based on the following breakdown. Please note that each instructor may choose to make modifications.
- Online Participation – 10%
- Unit Quizzes – 25%
- Lab Activities – 20%
- Homework Exercises – 15%
- Proctored Midterm Exam – 15%
- Proctored Final Exam – 15%
This course requires you to purchase a lab kit. This kit has been customized for eCore and can be used for both CHEM 1211K and 1212K.
Students will not be allowed to stay in the course without purchasing a lab kit unless a different arrangement has been made with the instructor.
Please see below for ordering information.
Username (case sensitive): ecore
Password (case sensitive): !studentkits123
- Select "Place Order"
- Search for EC-5100-KIT OR select "Student Kits" from the menu on the left
- Enter "1" in the "Quantity" text box and click "Add"
- The kit will appear in your "Shopping Cart" on the left
- Select "Review Order" and input your billing and shipping information
In addition to purchasing the lab kit, you are required to collect the following household materials:
- Laboratory Notebook
- Fire Extinguisher
- Digital Thermometer (F° and C°) (Note: If purchasing a new thermometer, try to locate a probe style thermometer that will fit inside of a test tube.)
- Salt (NaCl)
- Ruler (needs to measure centimeters)
- Calculator with Scientific Notation and Log abilities
- Sleeve of 8 oz. Styrofoam cups
- Paper Towels
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- Graduated Measuring cup
- Empty can (soup or vegetable can)
- Cereal box
- Clear plastic cups
- 2 - 1 liter (or larger) soda bottles with screw caps
- Steel nuts and bolts
- 6 – 7” red helium-grade balloons filled with air
- 3 – 12” blue helium-grade balloons filled with air
- Tape Measure
- Iron Nail
- 5 Half Gallon Plastic Bottles (such as milk bottles) (Recycle Code 2)
- Polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE, code 1) plastic sample (soda bottles, medicine jars (not prescription bottles), peanut butter jars)
- High Density Polyethylene (HDPE, code 2) plastic sample (milk jugs, motor oil, shampoo, conditioner, soap, and detergent bottles)
- Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE, code 4) plastic sample (plastic grocery bags, plastic cling wrap, sandwich bags, squeezable bottles)
- Polypropylene (PP, code 5) plastic sample (plastic diapers, Tupperware, margarine containers, yogurt containers, syrup bottles, prescription bottles and some bottle caps.)
- Empty Paper Towel Tube/Roll
Calculator with scientific notation and log abilities