After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the following topics
- Intermolecular Forces, Liquids, and Solids
- Properties of Solutions
- Chemical Kinetics
- Chemical Equilibrium
- Acid-Base Equilibria
- Chemical Thermodynamics
- Use correct chemical nomenclature, structural symbols, and terminology to accurately communicate in Standard English chemical principles, theories, and processes.
- Employ critical thinking and systematic methods to solve problems, including conceptual and quantitative problems.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the role of chemistry in everyday life
- Apply the rules of laboratory safety
- Collect and analyze scientific data, formulate appropriate conclusions from data analyses, and communicate findings.
- Lab Safety
- Unit 1: Liquids and Solids
- Lab: Viscosity of Liquids
- Unit 2: Solutions and Colloids
- Lab: Molecular Mass from Freezing Point Depression
- Unit 3: Kinetics
- Lab: Kinetics of the Decomposition of H2O2
- Unit 4: Fundamental Equilibrium Concepts
- Lab: Chemical Equilibrium: Le Châtelier's Principle
- Unit 5: Acid-Base Equilibria
- Lab: Weak Acid-Base Titration
- Unit 6: Equilibria of Other Reaction Classes
- Lab: Temperature Effects of Equilibrium
- Unit 7: Thermodynamics
- Lab: Thermodynamics of Urea Dissolution
- Unit 8: Electrochemistry
- Lab: Electrochemistry: Galvanic Cell
Your final grade will be based on the following breakdown. Please note that each instructor may choose to make modifications.
- Online Participation – 10%
- Unit Quizzes – 25%
- Lab Activities – 20%
- Homework Exercises – 15%
- Proctored Midterm Exam – 15%
- Proctored Final Exam – 15%
This course requires you to purchase a lab kit. This kit has been customized for eCore and can be used for both CHEM 1211K and 1212K.
Students will not be allowed to stay in the course without purchasing a lab kit unless a different arrangement has been made with the instructor.
Please see below for ordering information.
Username (case sensitive) : ecore
Password (case sensitive) : !studentkits123
- Select "Place Order"
- Search for EC-5100-KIT OR select "Student Kits" from the menu on the left
- Enter "1" in the "Quantity" text box and click "Add"
- The kit will appear in your "Shopping Cart" on the left
- Select "Review Order" and input your billing and shipping information
In addition to purchasing the lab kit, you are required to collect the following household materials:
- Laboratory Notebook
- Fire Extinguisher
- Digital Thermometer (F and C)
- Salt (NaCl)
- Ruler (needs to measure centimeters)
- Calculator that has scientific notation and log abilities
- Sleeve of 8 oz. Styrofoam cups
- Paper Towels
- 1 Marble
- Rubber Bands
- Cooking oil
- 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
- 1 Black Tea Bag
- 5% White Distilled Vinegar
- Petroleum Jelly
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Potato
Calculator with scientific notation and log abilities